Hall of Terrestrial Tranquility
The Palace of Terrestrial
Tranquility (KunNingGong), was first built in 1420.
It was rebuilt in 1655, this time as a copy of
QingNingGong (Hall of Peace and Tranquility) in ShenYang
(LiaoNing province). It is the only Manchurian style
architecture in the Forbidden City and has its gate on
the eastern side rather than in the middle. It was
renovated in 1798.
It is nine bays wide and three bays
deep with double eaves.
This hall was the residence of the
empress during the Ming and Qing dynasties. However,
during the Qing dynasty, the bridal emperor and empress
only lived in the East Warmth Chamber of this palace for
a few days. Later the emperor moved to the Hall of
Mental Cultivation and the empress moved to another
The emperor's bridal chamber in the
East Warmth Chamber was painted red and lanterns were
painted with red Double Happiness characters. In fact,
nearly everything there was red！
The delicate and
exquisitely embroidered bed curtain and quilt both
feature a hundred playing children. The emperors all
hoped for plenty of children to show the imperial
family's prosperity. However, the last emperor, PuYi, did
not like the wedding chamber and expressed his discontent
in his famous autobiography 'From Emperor to Citizen'.
In the West Warmth Chamber, a sacrifice
would be held every day. On important occasions, emperors
and empresses would preside over the ceremonies
Behind the palace is the Gate of
Terrestrial Tranquility (KunNingMen), with the
imperial doctors' duty room, dispensary and eunuchs duty
room to the sides.
Next : The Imperial Garden